Wednesday, March 7, 2007

On guns and the state of continuing legal education...

I emailed the next paragraph to myself from my blackberry on Friday while sitting in a crowded, far too stuffy room while obtaining credits for continuing legal education that i had ill-advisedly put off until the last minute, requiring a 2 day 16 hour blitz...

...

So I'm sitting in a stuffy, crowded room near city hall all day friday and saturday to meet my continuing education reqs for the year. Early on Friday, just before break, I look across the aisle from me and this guy is carrying a gun on his belt. Seriously? What the hell is that about? A cop, sure. Military, I guess, but preferably they should be in uniform or on a plane. I can't figure why someone that has a job that requires them to pack heat would also require them to attend a lecture on ethics, civility, and the newly admitted attorney.

...
Also, the hall that the classes were in is intended to be a replica of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. The walls are covered in paintings of people presumably important in the history of the New York County Lawyers' Association. Might actually look impressive, I suppose, were it not for the fact that at least a half dozen of the paintings (good sized paintings, i might add) were noticeably and unmistakably crooked. I mean by a huge amount. Why take the time to have a nice big hall like that and not bother to adjust the paintings every now and then... very distracting to say the least...

2 Comments:

At March 8, 2007 at 6:38 AM , Blogger laurenj said...

how many of the 16 hours did you spend worrying about the crooked paintings?

 
At March 8, 2007 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Zaaq said...

must have been somewhere in the 3 to 4 hour range... there were a lot of paintings, nothing else was worth looking at (seeing as i though the gun guy might shoot me for staring), and it was really boring.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home